So I loaded the kiln. You can see it in the pic above. I turned it on low for the 1st hour and then cranked it up to high for the 2nd hour. When it reached 1800 degrees, I cracked open the kiln with an old pot that I had and pulled out the cross. I then put into a metal bucket full of shredded paper and wood chips. The cross went up in flames which is kind of weird but in the end, it turned out OK. I needed to put the glaze on a little thicker next time. It was still cooling so I didn't take a pic.
Which now leads me to the second photo. This one is soooo nice. Exactly the idea that I had brewing. I made this clock with an open back so you can either hang it on the wall or sit it on a shelf. Once the kiln was cracked and starting to cool down, I pulled one clock out. Of course it cracked because it was sooo cold and windy out but I used it as a demo. I tried a couple of things but was discouraged. Then I decided to pull another clock (the last one) from its home in the hot kiln, I put it on the rim of the open kiln to stay warm. I started putting donkey tail hair on the clock and that is the squiggle lines you see. It actually burns into the clay.
Once it had cooled down considerably, I sprayed it with a chemical to give it the orange, yellow color. That also burns into the clay.
The donkey hair was donated by a donkey from one of my favorite places, Apple Hills. I bought some dried spices I have been in need for and had lunch by myself. I then talked to the owner, Joy. I asked her if I could have some donkey tail hair and of course her looked was priceless. She said "what in the world are you doing with that". Of course I explained that you use it in a raku process and she said she's very eager to see the outcome. Maybe if all goes well, with the next firing...I'll give her a clock.
I will most definitely be making more of these. I love this clock. It is going to look great in my bedroom!!