Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm melting...

Good grief...can't we ever just ease into the summer without it being 60's and then jumping into the high 90's-100's. Per "the Rabbit Muse", yesterday was 102 degrees. I never looked at the thermometer but I worked in the vegetable garden for only an hour (right at peak day, I know) and thought I was going to have a heat stroke!! But I needed to get it planted...the poor plants were growing outside their pots.

We spent the whole morning on Sunday cleaning out the veggie garden. Quite the feet I must say. Darn field grass. Todd made the garden smaller for me. It is just so hard to keep up with the weeds and I guess for right now it makes sense. I still have about 1/3 to go weeding, rototilling etc...but at least I got some veggies in. I have been thinking about my great grandma during all of this. The woman was amazing at gardening. She started her tomato plants inside on her window stills in her basement and upstairs. Her garden was very compact but full to the brim with HUGE tomato plants and other wonderful veggies. She had an enormous pear tree in her back yard that produced so many pears. Her peonies were so beautiful in her front yard....I wish I had a photo of her in her garden. I know there is one around of her and my great grandfather standing in back of her peonies all dressed up. I need to get a hold of a copy of that. I was going to try and find a photo of her that I have but it was just too darn hot yesterday to look. I'll try and post one later...

No comments: